The material has been transcribed separately.
Pennyn y Fenter Amgodio Testunau (TEI) ar gyfer LlB Llsgr. Cotton Cleopatra B V rhan i
: Language and Literature Committee, University of Wales Board of Celtic Studies, School of Welsh, Cardiff University,
Transcribed by D. Mark Smith
Edited by Peter Wynn Thomas
Encoded by Diana Luft
- : London, England
- : British Library
- : Cotton Cleopatra B.v
- : British Museum 15
BL Cotton Cleopatra MS. B.v is a compound manuscript in three parts. Parts i and iii contain historical texts and are written by two contemporary scribes who are known to have collaborated on NLW MS. Peniarth 20. Part i (pages 1r-162v) contains copies of Brut y Brenhinoedd and Brenhinoedd y Saeson, while part iii (pages 223r-250v) contains Ystoria Dared. Part ii (pages 165r-222v) contains a copy of Cyfraith Hywel Dda. This part of the manuscript is written in a later, mid-fourteenth-century hand and has been described separately for this reason.
|1r-108v||Brut y Brenhinoedd||X89|
|109r-162v||Brenhinoedd y Saeson||X89|
|165r-222v||Cyfraith Hywel Dda: Llyfr Cyfnerth||Cotton Cleo B.v hand B|
The following editions were used in the production of this transcription.
- Parry, John Jay. ed. 1937. Brut y Brenhined: Cotton Cleopatra Version. Cambridge MA: Medieval Academy of America.
- Jones, Thomas. ed. 1971. Brenhinedd y Saesson. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Evans, J. Gwenogvryn and Rhŷs, John. eds. 1890. Ystorya Dared. The Text of the Bruts from the Red Book of Hergest. Oxford: The Clarendon Press. 1-39
These scribes also collaborated on the production of NLW MS. Peniarth 20 which contains copies of the grammatical tract Gramadeg y Penceirddiaid, and the historical texts Y Beibl yn Gymraeg and Brut y Tywysogion in the hand of X88.
X89 has added several continuations to Brut y Tywysogion in NLW MS. Peniarth 20.
Further information on this manuscript can be found in the following sources.
- Evans, J. Gwenogvryn. 1898-1910. British Museum 15. Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language 2. London: HMSO. 952-4.
- Huws, Daniel. 2000. Medieval Welsh Manuscripts. Cardiff and Aberystwyth: University of Wales Press and the National Library of Wales.
- Huws, Daniel. A Repertory of Welsh Manuscripts and Scribes. draft.
This electronic edition was transcribed from a microfilm copy of the manuscript and checked against the original. The orthography and punctuation of the original manuscript have been followed, as has the original word division. A full stop in the transcription indicates a punctus in the manuscript, while a semi-colon in the transcription indicates a punctus elevatus in the manuscript. Words written as single items in the manuscript but considered as separate items today are separated by a vertical line, and scan as separate items in the word list and the word search. Words written as two words in the manuscript but considered as single words today appear separated by a dot in the transcription but scan as single words in the word list and word search.
Page numbers, columns, and lines have been encoded as well as gaps in the text, which may arise if the text is illegible or if there is damage to the manuscript. Gaps may also represent spaces left by the scribe. The presence of gaps in the text is noted in this edition, but the reason for them has not been recorded, nor has text been supplied to indicate their extent. Large initial capital letters have been encoded, but rubrication and other types of decoration have not. Apparent scribal errors which may have an effect on the intelligibility of the text have been provided with a 'sic' tag giving the editors' suggestion for a more intelligible reading. The purpose of these interventions is not to correct the scribe or infer that he is incorrect, but rather to indicate to the reader that unexpected readings are indeed true, and to make suggestions to add to the legibility of the text.
- PWT: edited XML files and suggested corrections
- 16-Jan-2006 DL: converted Word files to XML and corrected them
- 28-Jul-2003 – 8-Aug-2003 DMS: corrected the electronic transcription of pages 1r-162v, 223r-250v
- 14-Jul-2003 – 18-Jul-2002 DMS: corrected transcription of pages 1r-162v, 223r-250v against the manuscript
- 14-Jan-2002 – 17-Mar-2002 DMS: transcribed pages 1r-162v, 223r-250v from the microfilm copy of the manuscript