The material has been transcribed separately.
Pennyn y Fenter Amgodio Testunau (TEI) ar gyfer LlGC Llsgr. Peniarth 7
: Language and Literature Committee, University of Wales Board of Celtic Studies, School of Welsh, Cardiff University,
Transcribed by D. Mark Smith
Edited by Peter Wynn Thomas
Encoded by Diana Luft
- : Aberystwyth, Wales
- : National Library of Wales
- : Peniarth 7
- : Hengwrt 3
The manuscript contains an incomplete copy of Peredur, a collection of texts relating the feats of Charlemagne including an incomplete copies of Pererindod Siarlymaen, Chronicl Turpin and Cân Rolant, and a collection of religious texts including Ystoria Adda, Y Groglith, Ystoria Bilatus, and Ystoria Judas. The missing text from Pererindod Siarlymaen corresponds the text in the first part of NLW Peniarth 8. J. Gwenogvryn Evans suggested that that manuscript is a copy of the missing text from NLW Peniarth 7 or a copy of the same original. A number of pages are missing from the manuscript, some blank pages have been bound into it, and many pages have been bound in the incorrect place. Numbers have been added to each column by a later hand.
|5r-11v||5-32||Peredur, incomplete, beginning wanting||X85|
|13r-15v||37-48||Peredur, incomplete, beginning wanting||X85|
|16r-18v||49-60||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Pererindod Siarlymaen, incomplete, end wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|21r-22v||69-76||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Pererindod Siarlymaen, incomplete, end wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|25r-26v||85-92||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Chronicl Turpin, incomplete, beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|28r-31v||97-112||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Chronicl Turpin, incomplete, beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|33r-34v||117-124||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Chronicl Turpin, incomplete, beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|34v||124||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Cân Rolant||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|36r-37v||129-36||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Cân Rolant||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|39r-41v||141-52||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Cân Rolant||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|43r-44v||157-164||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Cân Rolant||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|46r-46v||165-9||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Cân Rolant||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|47r-48v||169-88||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Chronicl Turpin, incomplete, beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|50r-51v||173-88||Ystoria Carolo Magno: Chronicl Turpin, incomplete, beginning missing||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|53r-55v||193-204||Ystoria Adda, incomplete, beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|55r-58v||204-216||Y Groglith, incomplete, end wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|60r-62v||221-231||Elen a'r Grog, incomplete beginning wanting||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|62v-64r||231-237||Ystoria Bilatus||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|64r-65r||237-241||Ystoria Judas||Peniarth 7 hand B|
|65r||241-242||notes in a later hand||unknown|
The following editions were consulted in the production of this transcription.
- Jenkins, J. 1919-20. Medieval Welsh Scriptures, Religious Legends and Midrash. Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion. 121-9.
- Rejhon, Annalee. ed. 1983. Cân Rolant: The Medieval Welsh Version of the Song of Roland. Berkeley Los Angeles London: University of California Press.
- Richards, Melville. ed. 1937. Ystoria Bilatus. Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 9. 42-47.
- Thomas, Peter Wynn. ed. 2000. Peredur: Golygiad Lleiafol. http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/welsh/contactsandpeople/academicstaff/thomas-peter.html
- Williams, Robert. ed. 1876-92. Val a gauas Elen y Groc. Selections from the Hengwrt MSS. London: T. Richards. 258-66.
- Williams, Robert. ed. 1876-92. Y Groglith. Selections from the Hengwrt MSS. London: T. Richards. 250-266.
- Williams, Stephen J. ed. 1968. Ystorya de Carolo Magno. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
Following Huws, the first scribe is identified as 'X85'. This scribe was also responsible for copying the first part of Peniarth 21.
The second scribe is identified as 'Peniarth 7 hand B'.
Further information on this manuscript can be found in the following sources.
- Evans, J. Gwenogvryn. 1898-1910. Peniarth 7. Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language 1. London: HMSO. 317-9.
- Huws, Daniel. 2000. Medieval Welsh Manuscripts. Cardiff and Aberystwyth: University of Wales Press and the National Library of Wales.
- Huws, Daniel. A Repertory of Welsh Manuscripts and Scribes. draft.
This electronic edition was transcribed from a microfilm copy of the manuscript and checked against the original. The orthography and punctuation of the original manuscript have been followed, as has the original word division. A full stop in the transcription indicates a punctus in the manuscript, while a semi-colon in the transcription indicates a punctus elevatus in the manuscript. Words written as single items in the manuscript but considered as separate items today are separated by a vertical line, and scan as separate items in the word list and the word search. Words written as two words in the manuscript but considered as single words today appear separated by a dot in the transcription but scan as single words in the word list and word search.
Page numbers, columns, and lines have been encoded as well as gaps in the text, which may arise if the text is illegible or if there is damage to the manuscript. Gaps may also represent spaces left by the scribe. The presence of gaps in the text is noted in this edition, but the reason for them has not been recorded, nor has text been supplied to indicate their extent. Large initial capital letters have been encoded, but rubrication and other types of decoration have not. Apparent scribal errors which may have an effect on the intelligibility of the text have been provided with a 'sic' tag giving the editors' suggestion for a more intelligible reading. The purpose of these interventions is not to correct the scribe or infer that he is incorrect, but rather to indicate to the reader that unexpected readings are indeed true, and to make suggestions to add to the legibility of the text.
- PWT: edited XML files and suggested corrections
- 12-Dec-2005 DL: converted Word files to XML and corrected them
- 23-Jul-2001 – 27-Jul-2001 DMS: corrected the electronic transcription of pages 5r-65r
- 16-Jul-2001 – 20-Jul-2001 DMS: corrected transcription of pages 5r-65r against the original manuscript
- 21-Mar-2001 – 15-May-2001 DMS: transcribed pages 5r-65r from a microfilm copy of the manuscript